Wednesday, November 11, 2009

On District 9

D-9 is one of the better movies I've seen in a long time. I can count it as one of my favorites. The story is artfully told with a mixture of a reality TV show angle and cinematic moments, blended together. Blending the filming methods creates a unique and involving experience. 
The movie feels very real - it's entirely different from any 'aliens come to Earth' story I've seen or read before. I think this may be how people would react if non-hostile aliens visited Earth. 
One thing I thought was interesting was how the main human character was a very unlikeable character. I disliked him from the beginning to the last scenes of the movie, and even then I wasn't sure what to think of him. After the movie I spent some time considering his motives. His actions were heroic in the end, but his motives were anything but. For the whole movie, the main human characters motive was saving his own humanity, and he was willing to sacrifice the alien Christopher to do it. Even if it was delayed, there was a transformation in his character that made him more likable in the last scenes of the movie. He genuinely wanted to save Christopher at his own expense, though it was with the promise that he'd have his humanity restored later. 
D-9 was ended well. It left a few questions for the viewer to chew on, and offered some closure as well. Would the aliens return to take their people back, or to retaliate? Christopher might not want to retaliate, but I can understand why the aliens would want to, after hearing about what the humans did to the 1 million aliens over 20 years. 

Jumping back to the beginning, I'm left with one more question. The mother ship had about 1 million aliens, complete with weapons and armor. What were their original intentions coming to Earth? There are a lot of things they could've been doing, but I still wonder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment